Thursday, August 17, 2006

colonoscopy

Well... I had my first colonoscopy yesterday. i NEVER want to do that again. I'm hoping to never have to do that again. I thought the first colon flush last year for my surgery was bad. I don't know... this time around was horrible! After awhile, I was just flushing out stomach acid. You know how much it burns coming up when you throw up... well imagine it coming out the other end.. over and over and over. They don't put you out completely through the procedure. But you get slight amnesia from the sedation. I actually felt the pain. Not the pain of the tube going in... but I could feel it moving through me. Next thing I know, I'm back in the recovery room. And it's true, amnesia started to set in... because I really don't remember much else. When I came home, I was so out of it. I tried to eat, but threw it up. Then knocked out for 10hrs. I went just about 3 days without eating. I felt so weak this morning. It feels like I did about 200 sit ups last night. It hurts when I walk. The only thing that I got out of this procedure was, I need to eat more fiber. The doc didn't find anything. He suggested that if I eat more fiber, my bowels will move smoother. The pains I've been having are probably scar tissues. when my bowels are moving through my intestines, it's pulling on the scar tissues. This sucks.

2 Comments:

At 8/29/2006 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I just got here for the first time via Spike Harris and Limbodacious. Hope you don't mind me posting a comment even though I haven't read your whole story yet.

It's just that I can so relate to your colonoscopy story. I had one a while back, and for me the worst part (well, not counting the horrible day-before prep) was waking up in the recovery room. The nice, kind nurses kept telling me to go ahead and expel the gas they pump into you (so that they can visualize the colon) and not to be embarrased because it was "clean air".

But damn if I couldn't do it, so for a couple days afterwards, my whole abdomen hurt as it slowly, slowly deflated. It made me really wish that my belly-button was a stopper that I could pull out. I'd have flown around the room like a balloon, but wow, instant relief.

I'm not really complaining, since the procedure showed nothing wrong organically, but yeah, colonoscopies, while they make for fun stories and good bonding experiences, aren't anywhere on the list of Interesting Things To Experience.

Maggie

 
At 8/30/2006 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey yinda!
oh my gosh! is that the only excuse they teach you in friggin "digestive system" doctor school or something?! shoot that's the same thing they told me! i was always dropping bombs, everytime after i ate. (maybe too much info) so i went to the doctor...she gives me a checkup. a full check up. yeahh! *embarrassed* i had to go back a second time...and ended up getting a ticket on the way there, that i went to court for..i even got a lawyer. so...all in all. i got finger screwed by the doctor, screwed by the cop, and screwed by the lawyer. all because...i needed someone to tell me i need more fiber and i'm lactose intolerant. =)

from, bing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home