Tuesday, September 20, 2005

My new wig

Last week I posted about how expensive wigs were. I went to this seminar on "how to live with Ovarian Cancer" at the Wellness Community last friday. I met someone who told me that there are a bunch of salons that work with ACS (American Cancer Society) and sell wigs for very cheap (under $80) or if you get a wig from ACS they will fix it/restyle it for free. So I call up ACS and spoke to a very nice woman (Pam) who gave me a list of salons in my area.
See, back when I was losing my hair, I called ACS and ended up speaking the the wrong people. Not so helpful/rude people. They couldn't tell me where I could find wig banks in my area. Then I was redirected to someone else, who didn't get back to me until 3 weeks later. (I wish I had spoken to Pam back then.) I was so frustrated. That's why I settled and ended up going to Anita's which charged me up the ass for just ONE wig ($280). Well thanks to Pam, I found a place here in Fremont that really works with you and cancer patients (Almost Hair Unlimited). The woman that worked on my hair (Lindsey) was so nice. I went there hoping they could fix a wig I got from ACS. She was going to work on the wig, but then sugguested I go with human hair. I mentioned to her that I was told human hair was very expensive ($800+). She told me that's true but since they are with ACS, they give discounts to cancer patients. Now that's that I want to hear! She showed me a few wigs and I found one that I liked. But to make this wig even better... not only was it human hair, but it was FREE!! She told me that they were a wig bank, so they receive donated wigs and all donated wigs are free to cancer patients. All she charged me for was the shampooing and hair cut, which was only $15. At Anita's that stylist (Mark Wise) didn't even sugguest anything. I was alone and nervous... and he didn't even seem to want to help me. Still he charged me full price. I told Pam at ACS that they should look into Anita's.. because they were listed as "discounted wigs". I suppose compaired to $800... but I found out the hard way that there ARE salons out there who REALLY work with ACS. I told Lindsey about Anita's and she said that was pretty ridiculous that they are part of ACS and charge so much for their services.

So, for anyone in the Bay Area who's going through chemo or knows anyone who has cancer and needs a great and an affordable wig, call up
Almost Hair Unlimited
(510) 713-9447


This is the wig I got for FREE.
Human hair -or Chinese human hair as the stylist called it. Why's it gotta be Chinese? =)
It's black with red high lights. It looks mainly red here, but i think it's the tint in the picture. It's really cute. It's more "me" than the other wig.
It's funny, I like this wig, which was free, more than the wig I paid $280 for ( it's synthetic). I want my money back! Well, it was my co-workers combined money... but still.

Here is the first wig I bought. Plain black synthetic hair. I think I chose this one because I wanted to play it safe. I was alone and the guy wasn't trying to help me out. He was an old man, so I guess I shouldn't expect him to understand that I'm not old and I wanted a hair style that makes me look young (not an old lady as his normal clients).

*sigh* This is when I had hair... you know, back then I used to complain about my hair... how I didn't like it, it was too thick... now, I take it all back!!

I know, it'll grow back..blah blah blah. you don't realize how important your hair is until you lose it. I'm sure those of you who's gone through chemo, or lost their hair from other health issues know what I mean. It's one thing to cut your hair or shave your head because you wanted to. But when there's nothing you can do to stop it from falling out, that's hard to deal with at times. I'm getting so sick of covering my head with stuff (bandanas, hats, wigs). But I'm not ready to go camando just yet. I tried the other day... made it to the mall enterance and chickened out. My head is pretty bald... like you can see my scalp and maybe 20 stubble hairs on the top of my head. Maybe when more hair starts to grow back, I'll be able to do it.

I was at the mall the other day, I was wearing my bandana... and some guy working at the food court (maybe late teens, early 20s) asked if I was a skater chick. I thought that was pretty funny.

1 Comments:

At 10/20/2005 6:42 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

your looken good girl!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home